Brick Chimney Landing has a rich history as an important transportation point on the Cape Fear River, dating to colonial times. Revolution-era General John Alexander Lillington was granted the land in 1730. The grant was headed “George II by the Grace of God and Great Britain, France and Ireland, King, Defender of the Faith.” It was signed by Gabriel Johnston, “Captain General and Gov-ernour-in-Chief.” The landing was said to be quite an important place then, because it could be used to load tar and other essential naval stores and products on vessels for England. Ac-cording to a March 1884 publication of the Wilmington Daily Review, there was nothing to obstruct navigation all the way from Brick Chimney Landing to the ocean. Beginning in 1765, bricks from England shipped up the northeast Cape Fear River were off-loaded at Brick Chimney Landing and dispersed for use on area projects, such as Lillington Hall outside of Fayetteville.
Brick Chimney Landing is mentioned in other articles, including The Observer out of Raleigh, NC. (1878), and the Goldsboro Messenger (1880). An article entitled, “The Duplin Ca-nal,” proposed a canal to be built to make the Cape Fear River navigable from the upper end of Duplin County and also to drain swampland nearby.
In the early 1900s goods and supplies such as fertilizer and seeds were brought upriv-er from Wilmington to Brick Chimney Landing. People from inland Pender and Duplin counties would come to get these necessities for their farms.
At some point, this land—along with nearby Mall Branch and Brick Chimney Cove— were part of the Henry Shaw, Esq., Plantation; as noted in a deed provided to Arthur Wooten. Wooten purchased this land from the E.W. Godwin family in March 1963, for the sole purpose of growing turkeys. He had a farm in Maple Hill that was prone to flooding, and wanted a place that had high, sandy land to range his turkeys. The breeder farm for Wooten’s enterprise was based there for many years. Eventually, Wooten switched to a strictly grow-out operation and raised turkeys for Prestage Farms. Many years and many hurricanes later, Wooten’s grandson Trent Talbert took up the family business once again, and the complete operation was moved back to Maple Hill. There is still approximately forty acres of coastal Bermuda hay on the property that was planted to feed cows that Arthur owned and sold.